Ma’an news agency: PLO to pursue diplomatic efforts following [Gaza] ceasefire deal

According to Ma’an, ‘considered the main source of independent news from Palestine’, the Palestinian Liberation Organisation – PLO – is to pursue diplomatic efforts following [Gaza] ceasefire deal:

‘The Palestinian leadership will pursue diplomatic efforts at the UN Security Council in a bid to end Israel’s decades-long occupation following a ceasefire deal in Gaza, a senior Fatah official said late Wednesday [27 August 2014].

‘Nabil Shaath told Ma’an that the PLO would first submit an application to the UN Security Council on Sept. 15 [2014] demanding a “timetable” for Israel’s withdrawal from the occupied Palestinian territory. [OC4P emphasis]

‘The Arab League will meet on Sept. 5 [2014] to discuss how to support the move.

‘If that request is denied, the PLO will take their case to the International Criminal Court [OC4P emphasis] to hold senior Israeli officials such as Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon accountable for Israel’s devastating assault on Gaza [i.e., Israel’s ‘Operation Protective Edge’], which killed over 2,000 Palestinians.

‘”Taking the case to the ICC is conditional upon the Security Council response to our request,” Shaath said, adding that the issue is being discussed within Palestinian political circles.

‘A permanent unity government, with Hamas as a full partner, will then be formed in order to facilitate the reconstruction of the war-torn Gaza Strip, Shaath added.

‘Palestinian and Israeli delegations will meet at a later date in Cairo to agree on the procedures for operating Gaza’s crossings.

‘Shaath said that Israel accepted the ceasefire deal without the demilitarization of Hamas following pressure from the United States.

‘Israel fears losing its allies given the ongoing unrest in the region, he added.

‘The long-term ceasefire which came into effect on Tuesday also includes the opening of crossings for goods and aid under heavy Israeli supervision, which Palestinian negotiators say will signal the end of Israel’s crippling eight-year long blockade of the Strip, long a key Palestinian condition.’

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=723892
published Thursday, 28Aug2014; updated Friday, 29Aug2014.

 

Haaretz, the online edition of Haaretz newspaper in Israel, writes:

Palestinians threaten to turn to ICC if date not set for return to 1967 lines

Israel’s prime minister Benjamin ‘Netanyahu told a press conference on Wednesday night [27 August 2014] that Israel had secured a “great military and political” achievement in the Gaza war and that Hamas had been dealt a “heavy blow.”

‘Responding to a journalist’s question, the prime minister said: “We would be happy to see Abu-Mazen’s [Palestininian president and PLO Chairman, Mahmoud Abbas’] forces enter the Gaza Strip.” The Palestinian president, he said “has to decide which side he is on. We hope he will continue to support a peace deal with Israel.”

‘Last week, prior to the truce, Netanyahu told a press conference that dramatic changes in the region promise a “new political horizon,” even as Hamas and Israel continued to exchange fire after the collapse of the previous round of truce talks.

‘”I hope Abbas will have a significant part in the new diplomatic horizon. I expect to start talks with a Palestinian government which can abandon the path of terror,” Netanyahu said.’

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.612918
published Thursday, 28 August, 2014.

 

Finally, for one response to the situation in Gaza before and after the ceasefire, see here:
http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/operation-protective-edge.html
posted on 29 August 2014.

Advertisements

About Oban Concern for Palestine

. . . supporting people in Palestine and Israel who oppose the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. Oban Concern for Palestine are a group of Argyll residents who share an interest in Palestine, a friendship with its people and a deep concern for their welfare. And, for the sake of Israel, we want to encourage the government of Israel to comply with international law. Oban Concern for Palestine believe that the oppression of the Palestinian people is a grave wrong, that the government of Israel is in violation of international law, and that we have a duty to speak up and do what we can to bring it to an end. We welcome new members and supporters. For more information, please contact obanconcern4palestine AT gmail DOT com • +44 7747 300 062 • Oban Concern for Palestine, c/o Stronchriach, Rowan Road, Oban, Argyll, PA34 5TY, UK
This entry was posted in News and Events, News Archive and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s