The Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign started in autumn 2000 in response to the second Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation (intifada). The SPSC has branches and groups of supporters in several Scottish cities and universities, as well as individual members across Scotland. We are all volunteers, independent of all political formations, and wholly dependent on donations to finance our activities. We are unaligned with any Palestinian factions and support the right of the Palestinian people as a whole to self-determination.
1. First Argyll & Bute meeting of SPSC • Saturday 23 March, 2013, from 12-3pm, Inveraray Church Hall, Church Square, Inveraray, Argyll & Bute, PA32 8UD
Anyone interested is welcome to attend.
For a copy of a model constitution for the Branch, please contact Mick, Sophia or Angus – see end of post – or leave a comment here, including your contact details. The comment will not be published unless you expressly wish for this to happen.
Tentative agenda – to be finalised at the start of the meeting, with participants welcome to add items:
1. Welcome to SPSC by Fiona Napier – National Chair (5 – 10 mins)
2. Setting up an SPSC Branch (see SPSC model Branch Constitution e-mailed to people who had expressed interest)
3. Branch projects, e.g. Veolia (see below, item 2) / Constituency Network & www.coordin8.org / other
4. Election of Branch officers – Secretary / Treasurer / Press / Publicity / Delegates (2) to Scottish Committee / Others
5. Mahmoud Sarsak Scottish Tour
6. Comrie weekend
Also available from SPSC is a link to the legal opinion that SPSC sought some time ago to counter and neutralise legal advice from Edinburgh City Council lawyers and others to the effect that Thatcher era anti-boycott legislation to protect apartheid South Africa still prevented BDS motions being passed by Councils. That argument is thoroughly rebutted in the legal counter opinion, not to mention that both West Dunbartonshire and Stirling Councils have adopted policies of comprehensive boycott of Israeli goods and services with no comeback at all.*** STOP PRESS: On 14 March 2013, Clackmannanshire Council became third Scottish local authority to adopt policy of boycott in support of Palestinian freedom struggle. The majority saw this move as a continuation of opposition to South African apartheid.***
Please feel free to contact Sofiah MacLeod or Angus MacLean for any support you might need along the way:
sofiah AT scottishpsc.org.uk or angus AT scottishpsc.org.uk [please copy/paste by hand, replacing AT by @]
Looking forward to meeting everyone (again)
Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign
c/o Peace & Justice Centre
Edinburgh EH2 4BJ
00 44 131 620 0052
mick AT scottishpsc.org.uk